Are you a photographer? Want to earn some extra money by selling your photos online? Then today’s article will be helpful for you. Because here, we have placed the top 10 photo selling websites. These platforms are popular and reputable among photographers. As they can earn a handsome amount of money by selling their photos.
Adobe Stock is one of the best stock photo marketplaces. This platform has been working for more than 10 years. It is the oldest marketplace to sell your photos online. The most attractive thing about the adobe stock is their royalty share. It varies from 20%- 60%. You can just drop your photo, wait for the upload, and add tags and keywords. Adobe Stock will not let you wait for more than 1 day, to give you feedback on your images. So this is the best and trusted marketplace to sell your photos.
- No need to provide exclusive selling rights to your images
- You can sell photos on Adobe Stock and other marketplaces as well.
- Easy to find necessary images
- Provides lots of options
- Payment scheme needs improvement
- Cost of premium photos is too high
Alamy is another great marketplace to sell your stock photos. The most amazing feature of this marketplace is, it pays the photographers 50% for each sale. Alamy reserves the author’s rights and you will not face any copyright issues. This marketplace has already paid $180 million to the photographers. Although they pay a huge percentage of commission to the photographers, they don’t force you to sell photos to them exclusively.
- High commission rate
- Upload your photos without any copyright issues.
- Get a huge amount of images
- Strict review system
- Recently got some bad reviews
Since its establishment in 2003, Shutterstock has gained much popularity to date. They have over 200 million images, videos and still, the number is increasing day by day. Shutterstock has already paid almost $500 million worldwide. You will be paid on a monthly basis from Shutterstock and the commission rate is 20-30% for each download. You can also earn up to $200 by referring to a customer.
- The vast amount of royalty-free images
- Automatically scan your videos
- Ideal for YouTube projects
- Cool user interface
- Most expensive
- The free images may not be exactly the same that you are looking for
Etsy is a renowned marketplace to buy and sell handmade products. You can sell digital photos. Because Etsy has a large number of audiences and potential customers who are looking for such kinds of images. Moreover, Etsy will provide you a handbook that will guide you to know better about branding and marketing. So undoubtedly, Etsy is a great platform to expand your photography business and make it profitable.
- Over 30 million potential users
- Best for selling handmade goods
- Maximum products are unique
- Needs marketing
- Challenging for the newbies
500px is a great marketplace to show your works and create a free portfolio. They have approximately more than 15 million photographers. It is a great marketplace to earn money by selling your images. 500px gives you an opportunity to compare your images fare and check image clicks. You can earn up to 60% by selling your photographs exclusively. Besides, 500px provides amazing contests to earn more.
- It has a great reputation
- Ownership is well protected
- Provides analytical and tracking services
- Free portfolio creation
- Limited sales options
- No online community
iStock is a wonderful platform to sell your stock photos and earn extra money from your photos. You can earn a 15% commission by selling your image in iStock. Initially, this amount is quite low for photographers. But it will increase by up to 45% if you gain much popularity. Exclusively, you can earn a commission between 22% – 45%. The process of joining iStock is quite simple. So try iStock today and start selling your photos online.
- The best marketplace for beginners
- Well-known site
- Earn up to 45% in exclusive mode
- Provides resources to understand well about selling online
- The buying process is complicated
- Lack of nice user experience
- Extended licenses are high-cost
Another biggest platform to sell photos online is Bigstock. A contributor can earn up to 30% by selling his image. In this sense, he can earn $0.25-$0.5 per image download. Bigstock has a simple joining system and they have more than 43 million royalty images. The most unique feature of this marketplace is the credit system. Users can purchase content from this site by using the credits.
- Easy payment method
- Upload unlimited photos
- Simple setup system
- Different ways of making money
- Difficult to find quality images
- Automatic enlargement of photos while scrolling
- The price is a bit expensive
Dreamstime is a perfect and user-friendly website to sell photos online. The commission rate starts from 25% for non-exclusive options and 27% for exclusive options. But you can only request a payout when your amount will be $100. Another amazing feature of Dreamstime is that you can curate your galleries. It will help you to control the selling of your photos online. So start selling today in this competitive marketplace.
- Good platform for a start-up
- Easy requirements to set up
- Commission increases, if you sell more photos
- Can’t upload unlimited photos
- When your amount will be $100, only then you can request a payout
- Commission rate is not so high
9. Getty Images
Getty Images is one of the most reputed online platforms to sell photos worldwide. It was established in 1995 and still now, it is a great editorial photography website. In Getty Images, people need to buy a license. That means you have the right to use the pictures on specific platforms – print or web. The submission process is quite tough in Getty Images. But once approved you can earn up to 20% commission.
- Very popular website
- Great place to show your hidden talent
- Find original and creative images
- Hard to get into this marketplace
- Low commission rate
10. Your own website
The best place to sell your photos online is your personal website. Because here, you can display your photos on your own style, set your own prices, and do the marketing by yourself. It’s not hard to start with a website. There are various Content Management Systems – WordPress, Wix, and many more. So you can easily use them and create your website. But if you are totally new, you can watch a tutorial from YouTube on how to create a professional website. In this way, you can have a good knowledge of building a website.
- Easy to create
- Set your own prices
- 100% control over your photos
- Create your own terms and conditions
- Need to invest a little money for buying domain & hosting
- May need the help of a web developer.
To Sum Up - 10 best places to sell photos online
There are different types of ways to sell your photos online and earn smart revenue. But for that, you need to work hard and capture high-quality photos. Only then you can be successful in the online photo selling business.